Wednesday, April 2, 2014

So Long NARA

Life is uncertain.  Eat dessert first.

cherry pie.jpg

The world is an uncertain place these days, whether you move or whether you stay put. But several things help guide my way, and I know I have shared this thinking with some of you. The first is confidence. Confidence, but not arrogance. Confidence in one’s capabilities, in one’s adaptability, and in one’s values. The values part is important, because ultimately it will be the filter through which others see you.


I think a curiosity and a willingness to venture out of one’s comfort zone is important as well.
Getting out of the comfort zone forces one to learn new things, to take on challenges, and to expand one’s thinking. I give this advice to everyone I mentor or advise, and I follow it myself.  I believe we all need to keep learning.
 
Armstrong.jpg


As many of you know, my passion is engineering - applying technology to deliver business value is something that really drives me.  Throughout my career, I have come to realize that good products typically are not the best the first time they are introduced, and many times aren’t used the way they were originally intended.  Experience has taught me that one needs to do it wrong to get it right.  An unending curiosity is a critical need today, striving to learn and understand new things and to seek better, more efficient solutions.  Provided one learns from mistakes, these really aren’t failures.  A secret to success is not in knowing everything. Rather, it lies in knowing what you don't know, and finding those who do. I’ve been successful because I don’t give up on a goal, seeking out constructive criticism, asking others to tell me that my baby’s ugly, provided it truly is, and then asking them to tell me why.
 140326 Heck of a System.jpg
My career can be characterized as a string of implausible challenges, and my next chapter is similar -- one that will be an outlet for creativity, and one where I can make a difference.  And perhaps most important, this role will let me be me. After all, the time we have to do such things is limited, so I want to make every moment count.


It has been my privilege to work with many wonderful people at NARA.  Thank you.

winding-path copped.jpg


Never settle.  Keep moving forward.

110319 simple mlw.jpg

1 comment:

kelly said...

You have enjoyed those around you while at the archives! I hope your last day is a treasured one!